Monday 20 June 2022

The Saga Continue ... The Adventure V1.0

 The Saga Continue ... The Adventure V1.0


After approximately 10 months I now have time to finish the first release of 'The Adventure'. A game I wrote in 1986 on an ICL DRS 20 Model 50 minicomputer using Microsoft Basic V1.0

Converting the game to run in a modern Basic Interpreter has been fun. There are lots of changes I had to make and lots more I want to make but the first working version of the game, now written in QuickBasic64 (QB64), is almost complete. Just a few bugs to iron out.

I had to completely document the source code as I had not done this back when I first wrote the code. That was fun tracing variables through the code to see what they were used for and following the game logic again.

The game used no graphics, instead it relies on just the normal character set for anything visual like the top-down map. The map itself I had to recover from a printed listing and check every character manually to ensure I had it all exactly as it was first developed.

Here is the map for reference.


Once I have ironed out the final few bugs then I will release an executable of the game. This will be a version that is faithful to the 1986 final version, warts and all. 

Version 2 of the game will be with optimised code, and improved gameplay and I may see if I can work with Ansi art to display both the map and monsters you meet along the way. 

Watch this space......

No comments:

Post a Comment